Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SAUDI ARABIA & THE DISAPPEARANCE OF JOURNALIST JAMAL KHASHOGGI
(10-15-2018, 01:03 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 12:44 PM)Maggot Wrote: I've been looking around for a translated version of what he was writing about but cannot seem to find anything. Just to see if he was getting close to something very important to the Saudi's 

Where are you looking, Maggot? I ask because I just did a very basic google search and I didn't have a problem finding his work in English.

Khashoggi's pieces for the Washington Post were all written in English.  They're very easy to find if someone is really looking for them.

Some of Khashoggi's friends believe that the fact that his WP pieces had begun being translated into Arabic and released by the paper within the Middle East might have contributed to the motive for his disappearance and presumed death.

I've read several of his pieces.  He was not an overly harsh critic of MBS and Saudi Arabia.  He did not advocate for regime change. 

Instead, he typically warned that while there was some outward sign of progressive change since MBS took power, there were many repressive practices and human rights abuses going down. Khashoggi had become a voice pushing for true reform.

For example, while MBS granted women in Saudi Arabia the permission to drive and promoted that change globally as an image of the new Saudi Arabia.....................he turned around and had the activists who fought for that permission jailed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: SAUDI ARABIA & THE DISAPPEARANCE OF JOURNALIST JAMAL KHASHOGGI - by HairOfTheDog - 10-15-2018, 01:11 PM