Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SAUDI ARABIA & THE DISAPPEARANCE OF JOURNALIST JAMAL KHASHOGGI
I think it's quite reasonable to suspect that at least part of the answer to that question is a combination of unique factors:

President Trump's repeated declaration that the media is the enemy of the people
+
Kushner's close personal connection to MBS
+
President Trump's publicly expressed affinity for authoritarians/dictators and disrespect for more democratic leaders
+
The current administrations' focus on national autonomy and money over human/social issues
+
The Kindgom's possible personal financial leverage over Trump and Kushner
= "why the fuck not take out that pesky reformist dissident?", in MBS's thin-skinned inexperienced mind.  

I'm not blaming the U.S., Trump, or Kushner for the death of Khashoggi.  However, I do believe that the factors listed above may well have convinced the responsible party(s) that they could murder a journalist who had a large international following (and face little rebuke, if caught).

Anyway, it's a very big deal and I'm glad that principled people across the globe -- not limited to some Americans, and some Mock posters, and progressives, and other journalists -- are pushing back and speaking out against such a blatant assault on both free expression/speech and human rights.

Messages In This Thread
RE: SAUDI ARABIA & THE DISAPPEARANCE OF JOURNALIST JAMAL KHASHOGGI - by HairOfTheDog - 10-18-2018, 11:21 PM