Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Phylicia Barnes~NC teen missing in Baltimore
i noticed her this morning, but waited until now to see if she turned up.
seems, by all accounts, out of character for her to be gone.
1/3/11
Washington Post
BALTIMORE -- A North Carolina teen is missing after visiting relatives in Baltimore and police say she may have been abducted.

Baltimore police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi (guh-lee-EHL-mee) says 16-year-old Phylicia Barnes was reported missing Dec. 28. There's been no sign of her since, and she hasn't answered her cell phone. Guglielmi says detectives believe the teen may have been abducted in part because of items she left at her half-sister's apartment.

Barnes is from Monroe, N.C., about 25 miles southeast of Charlotte. Her mother, Janice Sallis, says Barnes is a straight-A student who's on track to graduate early from a charter school and is already applying to colleges.

Sallis says Barnes was visiting three older half-siblings in Baltimore.

January 3, 2011
WSOC
MONROE, N.C. -- Police in Baltimore said a missing Monroe teenager may have been abducted while visiting the area over the holidays.

Phylicia Barnes, 16, was last seen on Tuesday in Baltimore, where she was visiting family. She has no history of criminal activity, emotional distress or running away, police said.

Detectives said they are “growing increasingly concerned” and suspect foul play. Barnes may have been abducted and taken out of Maryland, according to police.

On Monday morning, the police commissioner ordered Barnes’ case to be transferred to the Baltimore Police Department’s homicide unit, which investigates all abduction cases.

Barnes’ classmates at Union Academy in Monroe gathered on Monday morning to hold a vigil. Her disappearance has stunned her classmates.

“I'm really sad because she's like a part of the family,” student Derral Tims said.

“(I’m) just so scared,” student Lindsey Helms said. “(I’m) just praying she's going to turn up, and she'll be safe and sound.”

Students said they’re hoping to raise money for the Barnes family to help with travel expenses or a reward for information in the teen’s disappearance. As of Monday afternoon, more than 1,500 people joined a Facebook page called "Pray for Phylicia Barnes."

Investigators in Baltimore announced a $2,500 for information in Barnes’ disappearance on Monday.

Barnes was last seen wearing a navy blue hooded pea coat, a turquoise thermal shirt, blue jeans and white slippers/boots. Anyone who has heard from her or knows where she may be is asked to call Baltimore police at 410-396-2100.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   162057_177767702243339_3696132_n.jpg (Size: 14.84 KB / Downloads: 152)

her mother pictured:

Barnes had a scheduled flight to North Carolina on Monday morning which she did not take.

Police said Barnes, who is from Monroe, N.C., has no history of criminal activity or running away from family.

her myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/373829426

REPORT SHE WENT TO A SHELTER IS FALSE.

“This is no runaway,” said her father Russell Barnes. “This is no child that’s having a bad day or a bad night. We don’t feel that she’s fell in love. That’s not her character.”

Her sister agrees.

“I think somebody might have taken her,” said Deena Barnes, her half-sister.

Deena Barnes says she left Phylicia sleeping Tuesday morning when she left from her Northwest Baltimore apartment. Her sister’s boyfriend last saw the girl at 1p.m. Tuesday.

Phylicia’s last Facebook post at 11:30 a.m. mentioned being hungry.

The family wonders if she walked to the nearby plaza for food.

“She texted me while I was at work and asked me to come pick her up,” said Kelly Barnes, her half-sister. “I started calling her, texting her, leaving her voicemails, everything. And nothing.”

“My daughter’s friends came home,” said Russell Barnes, “and the door was unlocked and the music was loud. That’s all they can tell me.”

WJZ has confirmed Phylicia tried to stay at a 24-hour emergency shelter on Guilford Avenue. But a staff member who answered the phone overnight told WJZ they didn’t know she was a missing child adding, “We called the police to come get her because minors aren’t allowed to stay here.”

The staff member tells WJZ a police officer picked her up, but it’s not clear where she was taken. It’s also unclear on what day Phylicia was kicked out of the shelter.

The 16-year-old girl has only visited Baltimore a handful of times to see her dad and siblings. Her family says that when she left the house on Tuesday, she was only wearing her slippers and she left behind her money.

“We don’t want to speculate that something bad has happened, but we feel that she’s been missing and somebody has her,” said Russell Barnes. “You can’t put it into words when you’re missing your child, when you know your daughter is fragile. You know she’s fragile.”

Meanwhile, back at Phylicia’s high school in Monroe, N.C., her friends are heartbroken at the news she is missing.

“I was very surprised. I couldn’t see her becoming missing. She’s not the kind of person to become missing,” said Jeniece Tims, friend.

“My heart just broke basically. Very upset. So we’re all praying and we know that she’s going to come back to us,” said Sandee Thomas, after school director.

Baltimore City Police and Maryland State Police are working this case, but they say have little to go on and need to hear from the public.

She was last seen wearing a navy blue peacoat with a hood, a turquoise thermal shirt, blue jeans, white slippers/boots and a caramel-colored purse. She is 5’8″ and 120 pounds.

If you have any information on Phylicia Barnes, you can call the Missing Person Unit at 443-984-7385.

[Image: phylicia-barnes-16-missing-baltimore-mar...=640&h=426]

What idiot made the missing poster look like an ad for a spring fashion show? WTF? People are so stupid.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Jan. 04, 2011

Phylicia Barnes, 16, has been missing since last Tuesday in Baltimore. Police say they are concerned about her well-being. Baltimore Police

The search for a missing Union County teen in Baltimore now involves homicide detectives, police in Maryland say.

Phylicia Barnes, a 16-year-old from Monroe, was last seen one week ago today at her half-sister's apartment in northwest Baltimore. Police say she had her cell phone, but it has not been used since she disappeared.

Meanwhile, Barnes' mother, Janice Sallis, has told several media outlets that a number of men were coming in and out of the apartment where Phylicia was staying.

Anthony Gugliemi, a spokesman for the Baltimore police, told the Observer's news partner, WCNC-TV, that investigators are looking into the possibility that the 16-year-old was abducted. Gugliemi said the girl might even have been taken out of state.

"We are enormously concerned," Baltimore police Commissioner Frederick Bealefield III told reporters Monday.

Barnes, a senior at Union Academy in Monroe, was last seen about 1:30 p.m. last Tuesday at an apartment on Eberle Drive in northwest Baltimore. Barnes had gone there to spend time during the holidays with her half-siter, 27-year-old Deena Barnes.

Police say they think Barnes left the apartment, possibly to get something to eat. She left with her cell phone and wallet but left other items behind.

Barnes' father, Reginald, has spent the past few days in the Baltimore area, joining family members in passing out hundreds of fliers with his daughter's picture. Gugliemi said police have used helicopters and bloodhounds in an effort to find the missing girl.

The girl's mother, Janice Sallis, told TV stations in Baltimore and Charlotte that Deena Barnes told her a number of men came in and out of the apartment recently. Police investigators have not commented on those reports, but Baltimore's WJZ-TV said detectives plan another search of the older sister's apartment.

now we have 2 different names for her father. Reginald and Russell. 45

CBS Baltimore

Her Mom is "livid" at one of her daughters where missing girl was staying.

All along, Barnes’ family has said they think she was going to get food, when she suddenly stopped answering her cell phone.

“I feel that she is being sexually assaulted against her will. I feel that she is being physically abused. I feel that she could be a part of the human trafficking,” said Barnes’ mother, Janice Sallis.

Sallis says she just found out that her 28-year-old daughter created a bad environment for Barnes at her apartment, where she was staying.

Sallis says there was not only lots of alcohol and marijuana, but also men, more than 20 of them coming in and out of the apartment.

“You allowed her to drink. And you drank Vodka with her. You’re 28 and she’s 16-years-old. And then I find out that you’re allowing her to smoke marijuana,” said Sallis.

Sallis said her daughter was uneasy around one of the men.

“She’s a country girl. She doesn’t know anything about hard city life,” said Sallis.

Baltimore City police say they are worried about what happened to her.

“I have to tell you that we have very serious concerns now into several days,” said Police Commissioner Fred Bealefeld.

“She would’ve used her cell phone at least once and that hasn’t been the case,” said Anthony Guglielmi, Baltimore City Police spokesperson.

Police confirm they did find evidence of drugs and alcohol inside the sister’s apartment. They still do not have any suspects or even a person of interest yet.

Police are also talking to many people, including the sister’s boyfriend, who was one of the last to see her.

Authorities served warrants Monday night and searched the apartment where the teen was last seen. Police also searched a part of Leakin Park Tuesday morning on a tip, but came up empty.

WHY WERE WARRANTS NEEDED TO SEARCH SISTER'S PLACE?

what was sister running, drug house or whorehouse?

sad. and her case is not getting the attention that Hailey Dunn's is getting. Police also still have boots on the ground.
Baltimore Sun:
Volunteers trekked through a patch of thick pine trees and along railroad tracks in Northwest Baltimore on Saturday as a light snow fell, searching for any clues in the disappearance of missing teenager Phylicia Simone Barnes.

On Saturday morning — 11 days after she went missing — the family and friends of 16-year-old Barnes, along with concerned strangers, searched the grounds surrounding the apartment complex where the honor roll student from North Carolina was last seen. Police say they suspect foul play and the teen was likely abducted, but family members vowed Saturday to find her.

Russell Barnes, her father, organized the search that drew about 30 volunteers, including the activist group Guardian Angels in their signature red berets and jackets. Barnes, who lives in Atlanta, came to Baltimore soon after hearing of his daughter's disappearance. Between calls on his cell phone from various church and community leaders offering help, he said he was resolute in his hope that his daughter, who lives with her mother in Monroe, N.C., and was visiting Baltimore for the holidays at the time of her disappearance, would return home alive.

"We don't believe she's gone," her father said, adding that a reward for information about the missing girl has been increased to $4,000. "I'll never believe she's gone. She's here. I'm never going to stop looking."

her dad, on left:

Bad weekend to be out looking.

I would be most concerned because her cell hasn't been used. Kids that age live on those things. I hope her sister realizes this is probably her fault.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
BALTIMORE -- Phylicia Barnes, a teenager from Monroe who went missing more than two weeks ago, turns 17 today. if she's alive. which i doubt. poor kid. and no news either.

I'm still pissed about this case. The sister should be charged for supplying alcohol and drugs.

What a horror for the mom not knowing. Do you buy presents hoping she will make it home? Do you not buy presents for your daughter because she is gone? Just tragic.

I hope they find her so her mom can have some peace.
a little late for this:
Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011
(WCNC)
Baltimore police marked the 17th birthday of a missing Monroe teen on Wednesday by searching a dumpster at the apartment complex where the girl's stepsister lives.

the father is out 'searching', but the mom says he was not in her life at all until recently. another stereotypical black male sperm donor who abandons his baby-mamas & babies.

the sister, Deena:

[Image: 123010DeenaBarnes.jpg]

(CNN) -- The mother of a missing 17-year-old honor student from North Carolina said she was stunned to learn that "20 different guys" passed through the home where the girl was staying and that the girl was allowed to drink alcohol while visiting family in Baltimore.

Phylicia Barnes of Charlotte, North Carolina, has been missing since December 28 after saying she was going out to get something to eat and maybe a haircut, according to Baltimore police. Maryland State Police and the FBI are also participating in the case.

Authorities have said they fear Barnes may have been harmed or abducted. Barnes left her debit card, and her mother said she has not answered her cell phone.

In an interview with HLN's "Nancy Grace" on Friday, Barnes' mother, Janice Sallis, said she spoke with Barnes' oldest half-sister multiple times before allowing Barnes to go to Baltimore.

"She knows how protective I was as her mother. She wasn't allowed to have a boyfriend," Sallis said. "She didn't have men; we didn't have men coming in and out of our environment."

Sallis said she was "stunned" and "devastated" after learning from one of Barnes' siblings that "there was a listing of 20 different guys going in and out" of where Barnes was staying and that her daughter -- who recently turned 17 -- was allowed to drink alcohol.

A Baltimore police spokesman has said more than 100 Baltimore police, Maryland State Police troopers and FBI agents have been working on the case.

Sallis said she had encouraged Barnes to reach out to her siblings on her father's side of the family.

"I encouraged her to go on Facebook to look for them because she hadn't heard from that side of her family, from her father, in over eight years," Sallis said. "And I, as a mother, didn't want my daughter not knowing who her other side of her DNA is. I didn't want her going from man to man looking for her father in relationships, so I encouraged her to look for her half-sisters online and maybe she could find her father that way because she hadn't heard from him in over eight years."

According to police, Barnes communicated through text messages with her half sister about 12:30 p.m. the day she disappeared. The ex-boyfriend of the half-sister was moving out of the apartment and said he saw Barnes on the couch at about 1:30 p.m., but when he came back to the apartment at about 5:10 p.m., Barnes was not there. The door was reportedly unlocked, and the music in the apartment was extremely loud.

Last week, Baltimore police spokesman Anthony J. Guglielmi said the FBI did a profile on the girl and found no reason she would run away. She is a good student with no emotional disturbances in her life, he said.

"The fact set of this case is different than anything else we've seen," he said.

Sallis made an emotional statement to CNN affiliate WBFF about her daughter.

"I want my daughter back," Sallis said. "She doesn't belong to whoever she's with. She doesn't belong with them. They are not her friends, they are not her family, they don't care anything about her. If they did, she wouldn't be where she's at."

Anyone with information on Barnes' disappearance can call 855-223-0033.

(CNN) -- The body of a 17-year-old honor student from North Carolina -- missing since December -- has been found in a Maryland river, her father said Thursday.

Russel Barnes said that a female body found in the Susquehanna River in northeast Maryland is that of his daughter, Phylicia Barnes. Later Thursday afternoon, the Maryland State Police confirmed the body's identity in a press release.

Phylicia Barnes' body was one of two found Wednesday in the river -- one south and the other north of the Conowingo Dam -- state police said. Her body was recovered around 10 a.m. that morning, while authorities spotted a male's body floating in the water just before 2 p.m.

[Image: 0327phylicia.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg]

This is heartbreaking, and such a terrible loss for her mother. She was a beautiful and intelligent young girl with a bright future ahead, and some scumbag just snatched it all away. Even sadder to think that Phylicia's mother encouraged her to build bridges with the other side of the family and that contact led to her death. RIP Phylicia.
"The old believe everything; the middle-aged suspect everything; the young know everything." Oscar Wilde
that idiot nancy grace is reporting right now *BOMBSHELL* that the family is waiting for ID. she's been IDed.

Wow, how'd she get there and who is the other guy?

I always figured the sister's ex boyfriend did it, but...not sure now.
There might not be any link between the 2 bodies. Could be just coincidence that both were found in the same timeframe.
"The old believe everything; the middle-aged suspect everything; the young know everything." Oscar Wilde
police presser just confirmed that it is she.

no cause of death yet.

other body is a young male.

both nude.

:(

That truly sucks. She didn't get a very long life.

Do you know if she was killed soon after she disappeared? I hate to think of her being locked up somewhere against her will.

nobody knows anything yet, or they aren't saying. it will come out with an arrest. the poor kid was a nice girl by all reports.