Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Burning the flag
If you see your national flag being burned by, whoever, does it piss you off? Does it illicit real emotion in you?

Should you be allowed to burn a flag? Any flag? Should you be allowed to burn your own flag?
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.

Yes, it pisses me off! Taz

It shouldn't be illegal to do so. I don't have to agree with what random yahoos do but I would defend their right to do it.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
And yet, burning is THE proper way to retire (dispose of) a flag.

Yeah . . . I know . . . this 'ceremony' is performed with required etiquette.

Like serving the attendees bread and water after the cremation.
I would not give them the matches thats for sure.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I don't much give a shit. I would expect to see people burning the US flag in other countries, here not so much. I've never seen anyone burning a flag here, but I wouldn't care if they were doing it on their own property.

I don't think it's legal here to burn the flag or anything else for that matter out in public or on private property.
(01-29-2014, 11:11 AM)sally Wrote: I don't think it's legal here to burn the flag or anything else for that matter out in public or on private property.

The US Supreme Court gives it a thumbs up (First Amendment) to set it ablaze.

However, you can't burn a flag that doesn't belong to you (ripping off your neighbor's flag and burning it).

That's a no-no.

So is this:

[Image: b6_4dcc72f9c9109.jpg]
What the heck is that? Karaoke for deaf people? Hi Tiki bigitch.
(01-29-2014, 06:56 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: The US Supreme Court gives it a thumbs up (First Amendment) to set it ablaze.

However, you can't burn a flag that doesn't belong to you (ripping off your neighbor's flag and burning it).

That's a no-no.

Yep, that no-no is exactly how Sheriff Joe got an opportunity to keep some inmates in-line recently.

It's not because they burned the flag while incarcerated, not technically anyway.

It's because they burned flags belonging to the US government that they're eating nothing but bread (with the required number of per-day calories, of course) for a while. Theft and vandalism; dumb criminals.

I doesn't bother me if people burn their own flags, or their own books, or their own bras...freedom of symbolic protest and expression. Not my style, but it often gets the flamers the attention they're seeking.
I have always respected our American Flag. I have a flag pole in my front yard. I never take it down and it has a spot light on it all night. It comes down only to replace it. There is a local store with several locations here and at least once or twice a year you can drop them off to have them burned properly.
[Image: Naughty_Grandma_by_Momma__G.gif]
A flag is a peace of cloth, if someone burned a Union Jack in front of me I wouldn't bat an eyelid. The flag itself is not the important thing its what the flag represents that is important and they could burn a thousand flags and not affect or change what the flag represents.

With the flag I'm with Bill Hicks.

“My daddy died for that flag!” Really? well I bought mine! You can get them in Kmart for five bucks! “My daddy died in Korea for that flag!” What a coincidence this flag was made in Korea! Your daddy didn't die for the flag he died for democracy and freedom including the freedom to burn the fucking flag!
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.

People should respect their country's flag.

The only people I have ever seen disrespect the flag are those I wouldn't respect in the first place. They always look like the dregs of society.
I give a shit and have put a stop to it and would again.
Yes this is a free country and yes your free to do
(01-30-2014, 07:51 AM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: Yes this is a free country and yes your free to do

?

You seemed to stop mid sentence there?
Hmm...so I did, no idea why that post didn't work.

what I intended.
Yes this is a free country and yes your free to do whatever you want, that doesn't mean that is Free with no consequences.
Last attempted flag burning I attended didn't work out so well for the 16 yr old twat that seemed to fell she was perfectly justified in burning a flag at a Viet Nam Veterans Parade
(01-30-2014, 10:15 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: Hmm...so I did, no idea why that post didn't work.

what I intended.
Yes this is a free country and yes your free to do whatever you want, that doesn't mean that is Free with no consequences.
Last attempted flag burning I attended didn't work out so well for the 16 yr old twat that seemed to fell she was perfectly justified in burning a flag at a Viet Nam Veterans Parade

What happened to the 16 year old girl? Did everyone beat the shit out of her, maybe put her in intensive care? Makes perfect sense in honor of a a piece of shit cloth.

Now that I give it some thought, I think the ones upset about burning the flag actually annoy me more than the ones burning it.
(01-30-2014, 10:15 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: the 16 yr old twat that seemed to fell she was perfectly justified in burning a flag at a Viet Nam Veterans Parade

She did it just to be a twat. It's not like she was old enough or even smart enough to stand for something, just another retard thinking she's making a statement.
(01-30-2014, 11:34 PM)sally Wrote:
(01-30-2014, 10:15 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: Hmm...so I did, no idea why that post didn't work.

what I intended.

What happened to the 16 year old girl? Did everyone beat the shit out of her, maybe put her in intensive care? Makes perfect sense in honor of a a piece of shit cloth.

Now that I give it some thought, I think the ones upset about burning the flag actually annoy me more than the ones burning it.
No, no one kicked her ass. She was too young and stupid to even remotely understand why she was such a twat. She thought the thing to do was to burn a flag as a protest something she had no clue about nor did she have a clue about the symbology of burning the flag. This something that means a lot to some people and It is very offensive to some of us. She thought she could just take a shit right in the middle of our beliefs and that it would be just fine, she would get her face on the news etc...
Didn't work out that way. I took the flag and her bic lighter away from her right there on camera. She said "You Can't do that" I told her that there was nothing she could do about it and that if I chose to I could slap the shit out of her and she couldn't do anything about that either. It was pointed out that I would probably be arrested for assault, but my point was made, the cameras shut down and all us vets saddled up after the ceremonies were done and headed to the watering hole,
A flag did not get burned there that day and just Maybe an idiot kid got an opportunity to learn something.
You may consider our flag to be a piece of shit, I don't care. Respect for Flag, Country, Honor ..all those things require you to believe in something that does not necessarily revolve around you. I believe and thats what matters. I'll be one of the ones that defended your rights, what have you done?
Everyone should have thrown buckets of water on her to "put the fire out"
(01-30-2014, 11:34 PM)sally Wrote: What happened to the 16 year old girl? Did everyone beat the shit out of her, maybe put her in intensive care? Makes perfect sense in honor of a a piece of shit cloth.

I agree with you 100%.

A flag is a piece of cloth and not important at all, what the flag represents is what's important and burning a flag will never change that.

The girl trying to burn the flag wasn't breaking the law people are legally entitled to do whatever they want with their own property and that includes flags. My flag if I want to wipe my arse with it I will and there's nothing you can do about it.

The people trying to stop the girl burning the flag are the ones breaking the law, the flag represents freedom INCLUDING the freedom to burn a flag that is your own property.

Would I burn a flag? No, not because I don't think I'm allowed to but because its lame and pointless.
Burn the Koran instead.