Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
SPANKING

What's your point of view on spanking children?

A Kansas lawmaker is proposing a bill that would allow teachers, caregivers and parents to spank children hard enough to leave marks.

Current Kansas law allows spanking that doesn't leave marks. Rep. Gail Finney, a Democrat from Wichita, says he wants to allow up to 10 strikes of the hand and that could leave redness and bruising. The bill also would allow parents to give permission to others to spank their children.

It would continue to ban hitting a child with fists, in the head or body, or with a belt or switch.

Finney says she wants to restore parental rights, and improve discipline.

Story
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
It's assault. Just think, how would anybody in here like to be beat physically like that until they got the message? Children are small and then these large adults inflict physical pain on them. Not right.

CN is really good at explaining this one.
If parents wanna swat their kids on the behind to get their attention or use fear/spanking as discipline, it's up to them at home, as long as it's not considered "abusive" by authorities.

Personally, I never spanked or hit any child in my care. Didn't occur to me and I don't like the idea of adults slapping, spanking, hitting, physically hurting or threatening kids in any way. But, we got spanked, sometimes repeatedly and/or hard, as kids and I don't consider that I was abused in any way.

Anyhow, I find this bill illogical. Teachers are required by law to report signs/marks that a child is being physically hurt at home. BUT, teachers themselves would be allowed to physically hurt/mark children at school with the parents' permission? How does that restore "parental rights" and discipline? Seems more like transferring parental responsibility from the home to the school.

There's no way in hell that bill will pass, I hope.

If I had a child & another person put their hands on it in that manner it would make my head spin in outrage. I'd be pissed!
Most kids would do well with a swat or two on occasion. We got it plenty when I was a kid as did most folks my age I recon. Sometimes at home it was bad, but I don't know if I would call it abuse or assault. My kids never got spanked past 2 years old, they didn't need it, I (we) used some intelligence when raising the kids and treated them like people from a very early age instead of like chattel they most folks seem to. I came out ok and my kids came out great, my daughter and her husband have 3 very well adjusted and smart kids, she is a Speech Pathologist and he is a Security Consultant, kids are all in gifted classes and as far as I know haven't been spanked in years.
When I was a kid, my parents were ignorant, bad parents that went one way on one issue and another on others, very inconsistent, very arbitrary and they raised us the same way, so we got ass beatings pretty regularly. I grew up knowing there was a better way and used it, the results speak for themselves. My brothers stayed in the same environment they grey up in and the results were predictable, the ass beating did no good and continue with their grandkids with the same results.
IMHO, its the same as everything else, there is no Magic Bullet for raising and declining kids, its a process and a recipe. The Bill in question is probably the result of too many people sticking their nose in other peoples business, its been years since I heard of Teachers being able to use spanking (Licks we called them). In my mind that is something that should have been in continuous use. It changed because some people didn't want Anyone deciplining their kids (including themselves it seems), kids got away with all kinds of things, teachers are now threatened with their jobs or charges if they touch a kid, wrong direction to me.
I don't know about "Restoring Parental Rights" that implies that they were taken away by someone, I think most people abdicated them and should take them back up as is their responsibility. I think it would to some degree restore discipline in school, the kids would know that there are indeed consequences and when I was a kid the worst part was knowing your friends knew you got spanked and cried, pretty effective tool.
Spanking is a tool.

As the years have gone by, i've noticed that most women have disliked spanking whereas men seem to think its okay depending on the age and situation.

Occasionally, I think a bratty kid needs a good swat on the ass. My dad used a belt on me and that was terrifying knowing that was coming when you're 5 years old. I'm not advocating that, but I think a parent should have the right to spank without getting a bunch of shit from others.

Not so sure about doling it out in school. Don't agree with that.
Knowing thy will get spanked is worse than the spanking. All I have to do is give the "look" nowadays.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I would kick the ass of any person that hit my child. And if they left a mark? Yea, I'm leaving a mark on their face. It's wrong. You give these people the right to leave a mark on your child and there is going to be the one person that takes it too far.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
I've seen kids that deserved to have their ass beat, but then you have to wonder why they're acting like that in the first place. Are they just natural born dick heads or is it the parents fault. My kids have never behaved in a way out in public where anyone would think to themselves that brat needs an ass whoopin. And when they act like assholes at home I just yell knock it the fuck off goddamnit and that usually does the trick. They've never done anything where I felt the need to pull out a belt and leave bruises on them. I'd feel ridiculous doing it.

When I was in elementary school if you acted like a little prick the teacher called the principal in to spank your ass in front of the class with a wooden paddle, which I think was more of an embarrassment then anything. I don't even think they notified the parents and you certainly didn't tell them yourself in fear that you'd get in even more trouble. It wasn't a big deal back then, but I'm pretty sure it would cause all kinds of problems nowadays.
You wanna know what real pain is? Threaten to take away computer privileges......works every time.
My kids grew up in the 80's and 90's, not a lot of computer and internet in them days.
I didn't have a flashlight, had to use a miners carbide lamp for hunting
This is ridiculous. The government telling citizens that another adult can spank your kid and actually leave marks on them.

I'm glad my kids are grown up, except now I'll have to worry about my grand kids. I'm with Rams, if my kids were still in school and a teacher left marks on them, I'm kickin some ass and going to jail.

I'm not against spanking at all, I'm old school when it comes to something like this. I got my ass spanked, my kids did and my grand kids will if they need it...but, they're perfect so I don't see that happening. Nobody is going to physically discipline my kids except me or my family.

On the other hand, if my kids were still in school and got into trouble...call me and I will come to the school and spank their ass if they deserve it. It shouldn't be done in front of other kids either.
(02-19-2014, 04:55 PM)sally Wrote: I've seen kids that deserved to have their ass beat

...like that kid that was running around Chuckie Cheese. *nods*
(02-19-2014, 05:52 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: ...call me and I will come to the school and spank their ass if they deserve it. It shouldn't be done in front of other kids either.

That's exactly what kept me from getting into trouble a few times when I was in school. The thought of my dad getting a call and coming to the school, or even having to face him when I got home, was a very effective deterrent.

He didn't care when I got work detail in high school for choices that I consciously made and he agreed were up to me and not the school at the time -- my grades were good and I didn't get caught doing anything illegal or ever hurt anyone.

But, if I'd been a trouble-maker and it caused him trouble by having to deal with it, it wouldn't have been pretty. After the age of spankings, seeing (and hearing) his disappointment, plus being put on restriction, were big deterrents too.
If anyone had ever left any marks on my kids, they'd want to prey to some kind of god that I never found out about it, that's for damn sure.

My middle daughter was having a tough time after my wife passed away, and this one particular night I was heading to bed late and I heard sobbing. Long story short, this teacher at my daughters school had noticed that my daughter was having problems with work, mood swings etc and taken it upon himself to give my daughter a diagnosis that she was 'sick', 'borderline bi-polar' and was 'in obvious need of help'

Well that motherfucker regretted the day those words came out of his mouth, I can assure you..
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
(02-19-2014, 09:02 PM)crash Wrote: ...they'd want to prey

Or pray.

Man, you were really pissed off.
Yeah..not quite that pissed off. But this iphone apparently corrects prsy to prey, rather than pray..
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
This is a bullchit bill being thrown out by people who are too chicken crap to just tell the parents to grow the *uck up and start parenting their children again. It will never pass....or come close.

This is all about throwing personal responsiblity for raising good, KIND, stable kid on to someone else....so the parents can stay the kid's *friend*78.

I have a 12 yr old Stepdaughter. Her head has NOT started turning circles---yet because my DH won't allow it the 50% of the time she is with us. DH has never spanked her and never raised his voice to her (you know those days of knowing you did something to disappoint your Dad is worst than any punishment). She is a good kid. Her mother is a pretty good Mom, but thinks being a friend, while screaming to the top of her lungs is the best way to parent Dramaqueen. Stepdaughter knows her Mom can be a flake and doesn't respect her. Hopefully Stepdaughter learns to balance all this herself throughout her life.
It's finding the currency with discipline, in my day it would have been by withholding my stereo or I used to get 'grounded' which meant I couldn't go and hang out with my friends. Now, I withdraw computer privileges, or cartoon network, 3DS stuff like that. The behaviour is immediately modified and wanting to earn back privileges. I hate any kind of conflict.
(02-20-2014, 04:35 AM)aussiefriend Wrote: I used to get 'grounded'

Me too and when I was little I couldn't really grasp the concept of my "smart mouth" getting me in trouble. As far as I was concerned "smart" was a good thing. As I got older and being grounded affected my social life you can bet your ass I straightened up & flew right.