Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
PUBLIC EXECUTIONS

Maggot inspired me -

Would you watch a channel dedicated to the executions of those who have been found guilty of horrific crimes?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Yup. Whatever happened to the "scared straight" thing? I bet that stopped many kids from becoming thugs.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Probably not.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(12-01-2015, 01:27 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Maggot inspired me -

Would you watch a channel dedicated to the executions of those who have been found guilty of horrific crimes?
Depends on how much that pay-per-view event costs? hah

I wonder if some freaks of the world would find that inspiring.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
That is totally morbid and voyeuristic. What if someone did that to get their 15 minutes of fame? What about if it offended those who are against the death penalty? Is it right to view as entertainment someone being killed? What about if it is viewed and then the person is found to be innocent?

What if there is evidence to suggest it does not have a preventative effect? What if it does? I mean, that raises so many questions, these are just a few, I am sure there are many more.

In the Middle East they do public executions on a Friday of course. I have heard that if Westerners attend, they push them to the front so they will be shocked and horrified. Now, as shocking and graphic what they do to human beings over there, there is obvious social injustice that exists there. Do we think that it does not exist in our society? We are hypocrites, all of what I saw first hand, exists in our society, it is just hidden, they are just open about their racism, misogyny, wealth inequality and exploitation of the poor, all of it. So, how better are we than them and what they are doing if we televise it. I have not seen a good argument for it, except that Maggot has given it the green light.
No, I don't agree with state sponsored murder
Sure I would watch a few, especially the ones that I had some knowledge about he case.

Aussie, you ask the damnedest questions. Some of them are actually part of what is wrong with this world.
Who cares if it offended the anti death penalty folks, they don't have to watch.
Who cares if its right to watch it for entertainment, you do realize most of the world has been doing this for thousands of years right?

The central question is would you watch, not if the death penalty is right or not.
My questions are just the very basic. If you were to have professionals sit down, well read folks, not poorly read who are undereducated and uninformed. There would need to be an assessment as to whether this would have a negative impact on the health or mental health of the society that it serves. There are all sorts of public health issues at stake. There are economic impacts also. You can't just do something for the hell of it, and because it will make you feel better. An action such as that needs to be looked at completely not just on some 'gut' level. The 'who cares what that person thinks' doesn't cut it, 'that person' gets a vote and a voice.

So 'who cares?' well, maybe not you, but some people do.
(12-01-2015, 06:50 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: My questions are just the very basic. If you were to have professionals sit down, well read folks, not poorly read who are undereducated and uninformed. There would need to be an assessment as to whether this would have a negative impact on the health or mental health of the society that it serves. There are all sorts of public health issues at stake. There are economic impacts also. You can't just do something for the hell of it, and because it will make you feel better. An action such as that needs to be looked at completely not just on some 'gut' level. The 'who cares what that person thinks' doesn't cut it, 'that person' gets a vote and a voice.

So 'who cares?' well, maybe not you, but some people do.
I've read most of the classics, but I prefer comic books. Where does that put me in your little "well read" vs. "poorly read" system of professionals qualified to perform an assessment for all of society you pretentious bearded slob? BTW, have you cleaned your home yet? hah
(12-01-2015, 06:50 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: My questions are just the very basic. If you were to have professionals sit down, well read folks, not poorly read who are undereducated and uninformed. There would need to be an assessment as to whether this would have a negative impact on the health or mental health of the society that it serves. There are all sorts of public health issues at stake. There are economic impacts also. You can't just do something for the hell of it, and because it will make you feel better. An action such as that needs to be looked at completely not just on some 'gut' level. The 'who cares what that person thinks' doesn't cut it, 'that person' gets a vote and a voice.

Why start something new? They don't do any of that shit for the drivvel thats put on tv now
The question is not are you for the death penalty. It's would you watch it on tv. Your answer is obviously no. People don't have to watch it if it offends them. Whether or not it's on TV, executions are still going to be carried out.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(12-01-2015, 07:41 PM)ramseycat Wrote: The question is not are you for the death penalty. It's would you watch it on tv. Your answer is obviously no. People don't have to watch it if it offends them. Whether or not it's on TV, executions are still going to be carried out.

Dumb and dumber.

My answer is NOT absolutely yes or no.

I have raised basic questions that could be brought up when raising such an issue. If it were to go further, it would far more detailed than I have just come up with. I am not going to explain it to you two.

I have heard it argued that a show like Dr. Phil is unethical because it breaches patient safety, confidentiality, privacy, dimished capacity.

When you televise something or go out in a public place and execute something it is not just about watching it, there are all sorts of other impacts that need to be considered, obviously far wider than you can grasp or even begin to understand before you come up with a clear and definitive answer.
(12-01-2015, 01:27 PM)Duchess Wrote: Would you watch a channel dedicated to the executions of those who have been found guilty of horrific crimes?

Nah.

Watching U.S. criminals make their final statements, get injected with a sedative cocktail, and then doze off into death wouldn't be of interest to me.

If it was a global channel and featured beheading or firing squad executions from places like Saudi Arabia, it still wouldn't be of interest to me because I know that shit goes down and have already seen videos of such executions.

I like to see what goes on in the world, but I don't need to see the same thing over and over and I'm not bloodthirsty. I'm not squeamish either; I just think it would be boring and backwards to regress to making public spectacles out of executions again.
Look at what extremists do and their extremist mindset for barbaric shock value getting your attention. If that technique works then why doesn't the people they are sending their message to change?

There is actually a video (I had a housemate that had hired it out years ago), I couldn't watch it myself, not my scene. It was on public executions, it was a documentary, Amnesty had originally supported it but withdrew support, I think the video was more voyeuristic than explanative. Stoning a woman to death for adultery (probably truthfully because she has lost her appeal or can't bear children) should be seen as cold blooded gang murder, whose to say that someone framed in our Western civilizations couldn't be the victim of the same treatment?
(12-01-2015, 03:21 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I wonder if some freaks of the world would find that inspiring.

Plenty. It's how Daesh manages to recruit a massive part of their people.
The death penalty is there as a deterrent to murder, the difference between watching the end result and reading about it is wide. I sometimes feel that seeing the result of a persons actions rather than reading about it would leave a bigger impression on someone that comes to the point in their life that they want to kill someone. Maybe even giving them second thoughts of the consequences of what they are about to do. It may even save a few lives.
There are definitely arguments for and against, but it would have be debated and researched thoroughly, not from an emotive perspective.

There may be aliens, and it is kept from the general public for a reason. Who knows? I don't think so, but you never know.
(12-02-2015, 10:23 AM)aussiefriend Wrote: There are definitely arguments for and against, but it would have be debated and researched thoroughly, not from an emotive perspective.

There may be aliens, and it is kept from the general public for a reason. Who knows? I don't think so, but you never know.

I think there are aliens circling your arse looking for an opening.
(12-02-2015, 06:31 AM)Maggot Wrote: The death penalty is there as a deterrent to murder, the difference between watching the end result and reading about it is wide. I sometimes feel that seeing the result of a persons actions rather than reading about it would leave a bigger impression on someone that comes to the point in their life that they want to kill someone. Maybe even giving them second thoughts of the consequences of what they are about to do. It may even save a few lives.
I think there is some data regarding people on death row who said the death penalty had no influence on them when they committed their crimes. I wonder if that would change if it were death by guillotine on live television?