Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
I know I'm always bitching about this...
(12-08-2011, 02:58 PM)Middle Finger Wrote: When it's only a few generations and your parents suffered discrimination and grandparents suffered worse, "ancestors" is not an appropriate term.

Like I've been saying - yes, take responsibility and that is ultimately the solution. That being said, it's ridiculous to act as if systemic oppression only a few generations ago would not have a lasting negative effect that the group would have trouble climbing out of.

What's ridiculous is making the assumption that the modern social problems of any group of people has anything to do with the past.

Take for instance the native peoples, anyone who claims that the blacks had it harder than the natives is intellectually dishonest, but yet those people who suffered so miserably at the hands of oppression have taken responsibility for their own future, they have fought and won many battles since the decimation which was brought upon their ancestors, and much of it during the same period of time as the blacks were held as slaves.

yet you claim that it is not unreasonable for a person to assume that a people would have a lasting negative affect when you are faced with peoples who have met the challenge of hard work,effort and desire and climbed above their history.

There are two ways to view it, it's either by choice that a people stays down or a lack of a reason to climb and live above the past, go ahead and pick one.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Messages In This Thread
RE: I know I'm always bitching about this... - by IMaDick - 12-08-2011, 03:19 PM