Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
3 Missing Ohio Women - Located Alive!
(05-08-2013, 08:53 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: Nope no witness to a crime from lands end to john o groats in the UK has ever needed subtitles to be understood that is a uniquely american need for subtitles I'm afraid.

He was retarded or uniquely local one of the two.

No global-market subtitles ever for English interviews conducted in the UK (I didn't put limits on the geography)?
Not so.

I've seen plenty of interviews with witnesses (and perpetrators) related to IRA activity broadcast with English subtitles. Some interviews of witnesses to Glasgow gang-related crime as well. Just a couple of examples that jump to mind quickly.

I don't know if the man you saw interviewed was retarded; could be. I believe I've seen all of the witness interviews and haven't needed subtitles. I'm not retarded nor from Cleveland. Perhaps it's in the ear of the beholder?

Anyway, I prefer no subtitles for English-language media from other countries, though it's sometimes a bit of a struggle depending on thickness of accent and local slang. If subtitles are inserted, I don't assume that's because the native speaker is retarded. Rather, the producers/distributors wanna make it as convenient or marketable for the largest audience.

Or, maybe they're catering to the lowest common intellectual denominator? I rarely need them myself, but I'm glad you found them helpful in following this story.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 3 Missing Ohio Women - Located Alive! - by HairOfTheDog - 05-08-2013, 09:56 PM