Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
revolutionary war myths
(12-28-2013, 01:21 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: HOTD: change the word "actually" to "also" and I'd agree without others qualifications.
However, I've never been taught any "myth" down playing or minimizing the French role in the Revolutionary War.

Sorry, no French, no guns or ammo for the colonists = no revolutionary war. Its really as simple as that, without French aid the colonists wouldn't have been able to fight a war never mind win one. In the past at Mock I have sometimes commented on how the colonists would never have won without the French only to be drowned out by retards saying drivel like “we would have kicked your ass anyway!”. No not without French guns and ammo and superior numbers you wouldn't dickhead.

HOTD: Never was taught this as part of American or World History; only ever heard of it as a story.

The story of Pitcher has been taught as fact in many American schools for decades. She is just a propaganda myth that somehow became a true story. A female revolutionry figurehead invented for women to admire.

HOTD: Based on my education (I'm not a war buff or expert by any means), I think that frontier savvy definitely played a role in America's victory over the British. To discount home court advantage is a ridiculous minimization of its importance strategically, IMO.

Regarding guerilla tactics, I never was taught this "myth" as part of American or World History. If it is indeed a "myth", it's not one that's widespread enough to have hit my radar or registered.

There was no “frontier savvy” in standing in ranks exchanging volleys of gunfire. The fact the colonists had more men with more guns was the deciding factor not “frontier savvy”. The whole notion that the colonists faught “smarter” is also a myth.

HOTD: There are always multiple agendas and parties in every war. Always have been, always will be, IMO. I don't have reason to doubt that there were almost an equal number of loyalists as there were "rebels", and other factions in the mix as well. I've never researched or recall coming across statistics to support the "almost equal" contention, but wouldn't surprise me if that was accurate. But, AGAIN, I've never been taught any "myth" to the contrary.

The fact is “most” colonists either were for the king or didn't give as a toss and just wanted a quiet life. The whole idea that an entire nation rose up as one to fight is a very common myth tauted around.

HOTD: This one seems like it was written by a sore loser. War; defeat is defeat and victory is victory. It doesn't matter a wit if that victory was a result of the opposing side underestimating the size of its opponent, their allies, or their artillery power. The British having made a lot of strategic and tactical errors in their bid for control of the colonies is a recognized fact; a fact which in no way diminishes Americas victory in securing its independence.

I've never been taught that the British army is "the mightiest army of all time". I won't argue that it isn't. Let's just agree that it is/was; the fact that American forces and our allies were able to massively outnumber and outgun such a worthy opponent is all the more reason to feel patriotic and thankful for those who fought for our independence against the worthiest of all opponents.

Sore loser? How about deluded winner?History is written by the victor, as true in the revolutionary war as any other. True patriotic victors investigate it and question it, plastic patriots swallow it whole like mana from heaven.

Cracked.com.

If you don't like the info attack the source! If I read something on Fox news or MSNBC I would check Cracked to make sure it was true. Cracked maybe just a bit of fun but they deal with serious subjects as well like the revolutionary war.

All history contains some myths and it's not always possible to differentiate them from the facts. But, the myths in your article were never presented as facts to me. Maybe someone else here was taught differently though and will weigh in.

I believe you of course, millions wouldn't. Some people out there, often referred to as cynics, might think to themselves “she's going to deny being taught any of these myths regardless of what they are and how common they are and how many Americans believe them!”. Plausable deniability.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.

Messages In This Thread
revolutionary war myths - by Cynical Ninja - 12-26-2013, 06:34 AM
RE: revolutionary war myths - by Cynical Ninja - 12-26-2013, 06:37 AM
RE: revolutionary war myths - by Donovan - 12-26-2013, 10:19 AM
RE: revolutionary war myths - by Cynical Ninja - 12-26-2013, 02:19 PM
RE: revolutionary war myths - by Donovan - 12-26-2013, 10:09 AM
RE: revolutionary war myths - by Cynical Ninja - 12-26-2013, 02:28 PM
RE: revolutionary war myths - by Donovan - 12-26-2013, 10:17 AM
RE: revolutionary war myths - by Maggot - 12-26-2013, 04:12 PM
RE: revolutionary war myths - by Cynical Ninja - 12-27-2013, 05:32 AM
RE: revolutionary war myths - by aussiefriend - 12-27-2013, 06:38 AM
RE: revolutionary war myths - by crash - 12-27-2013, 08:20 AM