Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jhessye Shockley , 5, AZ -- MISSING/PRESUMED DEAD
Thanks for mentioning the trial of Jerice Hunter in the Arias thread, Tiki.

After years of waiting for her to be held accountable for what she did to Jhessye (and her surviving children), I stopped checking for court dates and missed the first three weeks of trial.

I hope you'll be around to share opinions and insight as the trial progresses.

CASE UPDATE
[Image: 635628993715415361-phxdc5-6jsa73vmt9s1nf...iginal.jpg][Image: Jhessye-Shockley.jpg]

Background / Charges:
Jhessye Shockley, 5, was reported missing on Oct. 11, 2011, just after 5 p.m. Glendale, Arizona police issued an Amber Alert the next day.

Jhessye's mother, Jerice Hunter, is on trial, charged with first degree murder. She's accused of causing Jhessye's death through neglect, lying about the little girl's whereabouts while the child was missing, and putting her daughter's body into a suitcase that she later threw into a trash bin.

Trial Recap:
During the past three weeks, Hunter, 41, has been portrayed by the prosecution as abusive and cold to her youngest daughter, Jhessye, who went missing in October 2011.

Prosecutors explained that while neither the girl nor her body was ever discovered, investigators believe that Hunter stuffed Jhessye's body into a suitcase and threw it into a Tempe dumpster after she died.

Last week, prosecutors continued to present forensic evidence they believe links Jerice Hunter to the crime.

During Thursday's proceedings, a certified cadaver dog handler testified about what her canine discovered as Glendale police looked for forensic evidence in Jhessye Shockleys disappearance.

The state's prosecution team called Barbara Sampson, a cadaver dog handler, to the stand.

One of Sampson's trained dogs assisted in the 2011 investigation by recognizing "cadaver scents" from evidence obtained by the Glendale police.

Sampson testified that the dog detected a scent from a strip of carpet related to the case as well as the vehicle believed to have been used to transport Jhessye's body.

Hunter's former neighbor testified earlier this week that the Glendale mother looked "calm" after she dumped a suitcase in a Tempe dumpster. The dumpster police obtained also caused the dog to detect a cadaver scent, Sampson said.

Sampson noted that the cadaver dog was very animated because she knew she was 'in scent,' meaning that the dog had found some kind of decomposing smell — (and) that something had been in there or was in there."

Refs:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loca.../25517035/
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/12-n.../70581600/
==========

I'm hoping prosecutors can win a conviction without a body. I think Jerice Hunter is guilty in the death of her daughter (along with trying to scam the public).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jahessye Shockley , 5, AZ - MISSING/PRESUMED DEAD - by HairOfTheDog - 04-13-2015, 05:40 PM