Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food on hand
I wish I was one of those people who kept the same food on hand, but I'm not. I buy different shit all the time. I don't even buy the same brands.
I am trying to figure out what to stock if I can't get to the grocery store for some time. What would you keep on hand, in your cupboards if that was the case?
P.S. In the summer I will have access to fresh garden veggies.

tuna, chili, beans, corn, olives and sriracha sauce.
(02-06-2023, 09:25 PM)MirahM Wrote:  What would you keep on hand, in your cupboards if that was the case?

Oil & vinegar

Pasta

Spices

Canned goods/vegetables & fruits that are personal favorites

Condiments

In the fall there are many squash that can be kept for months

Beans

Rice

Some backcountry rangers blog and they may have valuable advice.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(02-07-2023, 01:18 AM)BigMark Wrote: tuna, chili, beans, corn, olives and sriracha sauce.

Oooh some great protein ideas! Thanks!

(02-07-2023, 12:13 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(02-06-2023, 09:25 PM)MirahM Wrote:  What would you keep on hand, in your cupboards if that was the case?

Oil & vinegar

Pasta

Spices

Canned goods/vegetables & fruits that are personal favorites

Condiments

In the fall there are many squash that can be kept for months

Beans

Rice

Some backcountry rangers blog and they may have valuable advice.

Good idea, thanks.
I struggle with eating canned veggies and fruits, but I will try!

Peanut butter

Canned White Meat Chicken

Spam (not kidding)

Instant Mashed Potatoes

Various Broths or Stock (or Better Than Bullion)

Raman Noodles

Evaporated Milk

Powdered Milk

An assortment of Mountain House Meals (They just need hot water)  or MREs

Oats, grits . . . cereal grains

Pancake/Waffle/Biscuit mix (in case you run low on scratch baking ingredients)

And booze . . . your choice

** Just a few additional ideas to add to all of the above**
Tuna fish, unsalted canned vegetables, jarred artichokes, hearts of palm, mushrooms and olives, dried beans, lentils and grains, unsalted nuts and seeds, fitness bread, natural unsweetened peanut or almond butter, dried goji berries, spices...
i really like the canned chicken.
What the hell is fitness bread?
(02-07-2023, 04:38 PM)BigMark Wrote: What the hell is fitness bread?

It's a dense, vacuum sealed bread made of whole grains. It's healthier and has a longer shelf life than other breads.
I have been eating ezekial bread-it is made from seed flour. (Go ahead Mark w/ the jokes)

Made a costco run today for other essentials like TP. Some things I didn't like the price or it didn't seem like a deal so I skipped on it but will get it locally.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. It is helpful!

And a first aid kit!
If you want to eat unhealthy the possibilities are endless. Not saying I'm 100% healthy, I got junk in my pantry with the best of them, but I mostly try to keep it in moderation.
(02-07-2023, 05:26 PM)Duchess Wrote: And a first aid kit!

Yes. I have a large first aid kit. And a small suitcase full of cold medicines and vitamins.

i like the sprouted grain bread. in a pinch eat sourdough as it eats the gluten.
What will you do for internet? Do you have Starlink? 
Starlink. There may be a period of time w/out until I get settled. IF I GO!!!!! OMG. So just hold on to the groceries okay!

The internet is good here, just a bit expensive. The good one is 40 I think starlink is 65.
(02-07-2023, 05:30 PM)sally Wrote: If you want to eat unhealthy the possibilities are endless. Not saying I'm 100% healthy, I got junk in my pantry with the best of them, but I mostly try to keep it in moderation.

I made a run to Trader Joes. Do they have those everywhere? It is healthy, overly packaged, reasonably priced food and supplies.
I bought mostly snacks tho. Snacks. I have a ton of chips for salsa dipping and other stuff, I don't know what I was thinking. I've never had this much food on hand before, it feels wierd and excesive.

(03-02-2023, 10:23 PM)MirahM Wrote:
(02-07-2023, 05:30 PM)sally Wrote: If you want to eat unhealthy the possibilities are endless. Not saying I'm 100% healthy, I got junk in my pantry with the best of them, but I mostly try to keep it in moderation.

I made a run to Trader Joes. Do they have those everywhere? It is healthy, overly packaged, reasonably priced food and supplies.
I bought mostly snacks tho. Snacks. I have a ton of chips for salsa dipping and other stuff, I don't know what I was thinking. I've never had this much food on hand before, it feels wierd and excesive.

They have Trader Joe's in Orlando, but not here. We got a Lucky's for a short while until it went out of business, that was a bummer.                                                                                                                                                                  The thing about chips and unhealthy snacks is you can't eat them if you don't buy them. Instead buy celery and dip that in salsa.