Social Security - The Fed's Ponzi Scheme
I am deliberately placing this in the "We Don't Give A Fuck . . ." arena. It's a topic that will bring out the same tired and pat responses that 'open minded' people recite as if they were attending mass or a rally.

However, my reasons are two-fold:

1.) It is an article from the National Review and we all know Buckley was a capital "C" conservative, a practicing Catholic, a Skull and Bones member, called Gore Vidal a "queer" on national TV, did not support George Bush's policy on the Iraq War and was for the legalization of weed.

2.) Obama is half white and Perry was once a Democrat.

Yes, It Is a Ponzi Scheme

Texas governor Rick Perry is being criticized for calling Social Security a “Ponzi scheme.” Even Mitt Romney is reportedly preparing to attack him for holding such a radical view. But if anything, Perry was being too kind.

The original Ponzi scheme was the brainchild of Charles Ponzi. Starting in 1916, the poor but enterprising Italian immigrant convinced people to allow him to invest their money. However, Ponzi never actually made any investments. He simply took the money he was given by later investors and gave it to his early investors, providing those early investors with a handsome profit. He then used these satisfied early investors as advertisements to get more investors. Unfortunately, in order to keep paying previous investors, Ponzi had to continue finding more and more new investors. Eventually, he couldn’t expand the number of new investors fast enough, and the scheme collapsed. Ponzi was convicted of fraud and sent to prison.

Social Security, on the other hand, forces people to invest in it through a mandatory payroll tax. A small portion of that money is used to buy special-issue Treasury bonds that the government will eventually have to repay, but the vast majority of the money you pay in Social Security taxes is not invested in anything. Instead, the money you pay into the system is used to pay benefits to those “early investors” who are retired today. When you retire, you will have to rely on the next generation of workers behind you to pay the taxes that will finance your benefits.

As with Ponzi’s scheme, this turns out to be a very good deal for those who got in early. The very first Social Security recipient, Ida Mae Fuller of Vermont, paid just $44 in Social Security taxes, but the long-lived Mrs. Fuller collected $20,993 in benefits. Such high returns were possible because there were many workers paying into the system and only a few retirees taking benefits out of it. In 1950, for instance, there were 16 workers supporting every retiree. Today, there are just over three. By around 2030, we will be down to just two.

As with Ponzi’s scheme, when the number of new contributors dries up, it will become impossible to continue to pay the promised benefits. Those early windfall returns are long gone. When today’s young workers retire, they will receive returns far below what private investments could provide. Many will be lucky to break even.

Eventually the pyramid crumbles.

Of course, Social Security and Ponzi schemes are not perfectly analogous. Ponzi, after all, had to rely on what people were willing to voluntarily invest with him. Once he couldn’t convince enough new investors to join his scheme, it collapsed. Social Security, on the other hand, can rely on the power of the government to tax. As the shrinking number of workers paying into the system makes it harder to continue to sustain benefits, the government can just force young people to pay even more into the system.

In fact, Social Security taxes have been raised some 40 times since the program began. The initial Social Security tax was 2 percent (split between the employer and employee), capped at $3,000 of earnings. That made for a maximum tax of $60. Today, the tax is 12.4 percent, capped at $106,800, for a maximum tax of $13,234. Even adjusting for inflation, that represents more than an 800 percent increase.

In addition, at least until the final collapse of his scheme, Ponzi was more or less obligated to pay his early investors what he promised them. With Social Security, on the other hand, Congress is always able to change or cut those benefits in order to keep the scheme going.

Social Security is facing more than $20 trillion in unfunded future liabilities. Raising taxes and cutting benefits enough to keep the program limping along will obviously mean an ever-worsening deal for younger workers. They will be forced to pay more and get less.

Rick Perry got this one right.

At least people contribute to Social Security. Not so much with welfare recipients.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
My retirement will pay enough that I won't be eligible to receive the Social Security I have paid into the system all these years. Getting in on the bottom floor fucking sucks.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
My position has always been to remove the cap on earnings and continue to tax. Remove the employer contribution, too.

I fucking hate it when Obama bitches that the rich aren't paying enough and ignores this 'tax'. My question is: "Why?"

And for those of you who believe that I'm ignoring the honorable masses in the GOP and the Tea Party . . . fuck you.

If Obama wants to tax the rich, here's the golden opportunity.

Besides, we all know the money will be used for other shit, anyway.
From the ssa.gov site:

Social Security Is Important To African Americans

July 2011 (Printer Friendly Version)

Social Security is neutral with respect to race or ethnicity – individuals with identical earnings histories are treated the same in terms of benefits. This Fact Sheet is provided by the Social Security Administration to highlight how African Americans benefit from the Social Security program and how certain demographic characteristics of African Americans compare with the entire population.
•The Social Security system is progressive in that lower-wage earners receive a higher percentage benefit than higher-wage earners do. The system returns a greater percentage of pre-retirement earnings to a lower-wage worker than to a higher-wage worker. African Americans who are low-wage workers receive back more benefits in relation to past earnings than do high-wage earners.
•In 2009, the median earnings of working-age African Americans who worked full-time, year round were about $35,000, compared to $40,000 for all working-age people.
•In 2009, the average annual Social Security income received by African American men 65 years and older was $13,889, compared to $11, 369 for African American women.
•In 2009, among African Americans receiving Social Security, 29 percent of elderly married couples and 56 percent of unmarried elderly persons relied on Social Security for 90 percent or more of their income.
•African Americans have lower life expectancies than other races at age 65.
◦African American men who are age 65 in 2010 can expect to live to age 79, compared to age 82 for all men.
◦African American women who are age 65 in 2010 can expect to live to age 83, compared to age 85 for all women.
•African Americans benefit from survivors insurance. In 2009, African Americans made up approximately 12.4 percent of the American population; however, 18 percent of all children receiving Social Security survivor benefits were African American.
•African Americans benefit from disability insurance. In 2009, 12.4 percent of the population was African American; however, 17 percent of disabled workers receiving benefits were African American.
•African Americans receiving benefits are helped by Social Security's cost-of-living protection which guarantees a benefit that is annually adjusted for inflation.
•The African American population in the U.S. is expected to grow. Today, 12.4 percent of the population is of African American origin. This proportion is expected to grow to 14.6 percent by 2050.

This fact sheet is designed to provide general information and does not apply to all individuals within the African American population.

This is what makes me a little angry every month when I pay my short-term and long-term disability:

■Just over 1 in 4 of today’s 20 year-olds will become disabled before reaching age 67.
■67% of the private sector workforce has no long-term disability insurance.
◦50% of the workforce has no private pension coverage.
◦31% of the workforce has no savings set aside specifically for retirement.
(09-06-2011, 08:03 PM)Cracker Wrote: I won't be eligible to receive the Social Security I have paid into the system all these years.

There's something really wrong with that picture...it's more of that bullshit that makes my head want to explode.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(09-06-2011, 08:41 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(09-06-2011, 08:03 PM)Cracker Wrote: I won't be eligible to receive the Social Security I have paid into the system all these years.

There's something really wrong with that picture...it's more of that bullshit that makes my head want to explode.

There was a vote in Georgia about 20 years ago that allowed state workers to opt out of SS deductions and just rely on their retirements. My particular agency neglected to vote. A neighboring agency DID vote and decided to not contribute to SS. They make less per year salary, but more per month because of it. Many people are putting that extra into their state retirement accounts. I wish I could do that.
My point with the African American post is that some races are ENCOURAGED to look to Social Security to take care of them. They are catered to. Why? That is fucked up.

Am I a douche for paying long-term and short-term disability premiums in case I am ever disabled? Why should I pay extra to cover myself when everybody else doesn't? Yes, I might be a douche. I figure it is MY responsibility to make sure I am covered, and that my family is covered, in case something bad happens.
People who have a retirement plan now will not be able to collect s.s. in the future. My suggestion........buy gold and silver. Obamacare is the same as s.s. just another way to take from the people who work and give to the people who do not. We will all be dead when it all pans out. Do NOT depend on the government and by all means get around the system any way you can. You will not be noticed as most of the bulk population will not see it coming.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(09-06-2011, 11:12 PM)Maggot Wrote: People who have a retirement plan now will not be able to collect s.s. in the future. My suggestion........buy gold and silver.

The purpose of this post was to illuminate the fact that an entitlement program can be funded by following Obama's cries of 'the fortunate are not paying their share' and help the masses.

The 'fortunate' do not rely on SS as a primary source of income. So . . . why hasn't Obama or his followers proposed either an increase in the tax or the removal of the earnings cap?

Plus, the fact the American public was never told that Social Security is in fact, insolvent. Not sometime in the future . . . but right now.

Don't look to the right to fund this program. It ain't gonna happen.

Now . . . America needs to build roads and bridges.

I guess Obama forgot about mending fences.
What is the definition of "fortunate"? Employers pay the same as an employee in s.s.

A tax break for funding a portion of a retirement plan for the employee would work. Everyone knows s.s. will not be there soon. as a matter of fact people that have viable retirement plans may not qualify for s.s. in the near future. Social security is only a forced tax because people are to stupid to save for their retirement.
(09-07-2011, 10:50 AM)Maggot Wrote: What is the definition of "fortunate"? Employers pay the same as an employee in s.s.

A tax break for funding a portion of a retirement plan for the employee would work. Everyone knows s.s. will not be there soon. as a matter of fact people that have viable retirement plans may not qualify for s.s. in the near future. Social security is only a forced tax because people are to stupid to save for their retirement.

Maggot, what happened to the freedom to chose to save for a retirement plan, and what the fuck son, what happened to the freedom to chose not to have a retirement plan?

and while were on the subject of freedom, what is the next one you're willing to give up so the government can take care of you?

Maybe your right to life since they will be determining what medical care your 50 year old ass will get.

Jesus Christ, this is the thinking that fucked this country to begim with, people are stupid, government is smart, people are stupid government is smart, people are stupid government is smart.

fucking robots suck ass.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

The freedom to choose a retirement plan was lost many years ago. As the years passed more saw the wonderful nest egg called social security as a giant piggy bank. I would love to stop paying into social security. I wish there was a way. I can do better on my own with that money.
It truly is a Ponzi scheme. A chain letter from the government to the stupid Americans.
I would opt out if I could. I'm in my early 30s and know that there will be no money when I reach retirement age.

The thing that bothers me most is that my generation will have to decide what to do with our parents when the money runs out. No good options that I can think of...

I'm going to go broke because there isn't the willpower to fix it today.
(09-20-2011, 04:00 AM)twistofcain Wrote: I would opt out if I could. I'm in my early 30s and know that there will be no money when I reach retirement age.

The thing that bothers me most is that my generation will have to decide what to do with our parents when the money runs out. No good options that I can think of...

There's not enough to fund SS, NOW. You weren't following the whole debt ceiling thing, were you?

Remember . . . Obama couldn't guarantee payments to all SS recipients?

As to your parents . . . dump 'em on your siblings' doorstep.

If you're an only child, then they fucked-up.

(09-20-2011, 04:00 AM)twistofcain Wrote: The thing that bothers me most is that my generation will have to decide what to do with our parents when the money runs out. No good options that I can think of...

There are three choices: Ignore the situation and make your brother/sister take care of it, kill your parents when the money runs out (once the check stops coming, the gov't loses interest in people), take care of your parents because they took care of you. If you had shitty parents, the will have lots of time to reflect on their failings when they are begging for money in the street.
Social security taxes would be cut under Obama's jobs act but then that money would supposedly be replaced by funds from the federal budget (increasing debt).

Go figure.

Commando Cunt Queen
(09-20-2011, 02:48 PM)username Wrote: Social security taxes would be cut under Obama's jobs act but then that money would supposedly be replaced by funds from the federal budget (increasing debt).

Go figure.

He wants the money in the general fund, He doesn't want to get caught with his hand in the SS cookie jar.

That would make him look like a hypocrite you know, talk about taking care of the seniors and SS and then ripping the funds off from the acct.

Go figure.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Learned this five years ago, freshman year.

Schwing.
(09-20-2011, 11:51 PM)Jibbles Wrote: Learned this five years ago, freshman year.

Schwing.

Five years to get an AA? Is that a record?

Thanks for letting us know how clever you are. I'm sure we are all duly impressed.