Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Oprah told bags are “too expensive” for her
(08-09-2013, 10:01 AM)Jimbone Wrote: I call bullshit on this story.

Unless it's on video, it didn't happen and she is making it up for publicity.

Oprah is the biggest, fattest bullshit artist on the planet. She's a disgrace, and a blight on the planet.

The fact that she has even one person that listens to her is yet another reason I fear for the future my kids will have to grow up in.

I don't think it's bullshit; I think it happened just as Winfrey contends.

The store clerk and owner have acknowledged what went down and apologized.

The Swiss Tourism Minister said the incident had been investigated and apologized to Winfrey on Friday.

Was Winfrey profiled and deemed not of caliber because she was black? That, I don't know. Maybe not.

I don't go into high end stores like that. Not only because I can't afford them, but because I would never spend that much money on clothes, jewelery, bags...even if I had it.

Even so, it's not surprising to me that clerks in stores like those selling $38k handbags profile the customers and size them up upon entry into the store. Heavier women who aren't displaying very expensive jewelery or don't pull up in a Rolls are likely to be snubbed or disregarded (lots of complaints like that reported and documented).

Could be Winfrey looked frumpy to the snobby clerk (who should have just shown her the damn bag in any case, IMO). Or, she might have looked like a million bucks and the clerk simply discriminated against her because she's black.

IDK. In any event, Oprah will survive. The store's gotten some bad publicity, but it'll survive. And, maybe clerks will think twice before making assumptions and rude comments that could end up costing them business. Not a bad thing, IMO.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Oprah told bags are “too expensive” for her - by HairOfTheDog - 08-11-2013, 03:15 PM