Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Melissa Jenkins, young mom murdered, VT.
wow...similar scenario as NH case last year, Krista Dittmeyer:

http://mockforums.net/thread-5593.html?h...und+in+car

Brattleboro Reformer‎
The Vermont State Police are looking for Melissa Jenkins, 33, of St. Johnsbury, who was reported missing at 11:30 p.m. on Sunday night.

According to police, Jenkins disappearance is being considered suspicious.

Police were notified of her disappearance by a friend who went looking for her at about 8:30 p.m. and found her vehicle, a 2006 silver Suzuki Grand Vitara, parked along the side of Goss Hollow Rd. a short distance from her home.

Jenkins was not with the vehicle at this time, however Jenkins' 2-year-old-child was discovered inside the vehicle.

The child was turned over to a family friend for the time being.

Troopers from the St. Johnsbury Barracks responded and searched the immediate area and Jenkins was not located.

Troopers also observed evidence at the scene to indicate that Jenkins' disappearance is potentially suspicious.

Vermont State Police Detectives and the State Police Crime Scene Search Team were called in and are currently investigating the circumstances surrounding Jenkins' disappearance.

Jenkins is described as a white female, approximately 5 feet 4 inches tall, 130 pounds with blond hair and hazel eyes.

Anyone with information concerning this incident or may know Jenkins' whereabouts should call the Vermont State Police in St. Johnsbury at 802-748-3111.

Police are also looking to speak with anyone who have driven Goss Hollow road in St. Johnsbury on Sunday evening.

[Image: bilde?Site=BT&Date=20120326&Category=NEW...uspicious-]

Yes...freaky how similar the circumstances are to the Krista Dittmeyer case.

http://www.wptz.com/news/vermont-new-yor...index.html

... A friend who was looking for her called police, who say evidence from the scene indicates there was a struggle.

The SUV was found a short distance away from Jenkins' home. A relative believes she was trying to help someone at the time....

Jenkins is a single parent who teaches science and coaches girls' basketball at St. Johnsbury Academy. She also waitresses part-time at The Creamery Restaurant in Danville....
i just got home and got this:

her car
[Image: 528632_10151422201680442_140859045441_23...1180_n.jpg]

another pic

[Image: article-2120598-1257E4FA000005DC-477_468x286.jpg]

Police press release -

DATE OF RELEASE: March 26, 2012
INCIDENT: Missing Person
CASE #: 12B100874
INVESTIGATOR: Det. Sgt. Walter Smith, St. Johnsbury Barracks
DATE & TIME OF INCIDENT: March 25th, 2012 @ 2300 hours
VICTIM: Melissa Jenkins, age 33, St. Johnsbury, VT

SUMMARY OF INCIDENT: Below is a statement issued by Major Ed Ledo of the Vermont State Police at this morning’s press conference that took place at the St. Johnsbury Barracks:

On March 25 at approximately 11:30 PM, Melissa Jenkins, age 33 of St. Johnsbury was reported missing by a friend. The friend who had not heard from her since approximately 08:30 PM went looking for Ms. Jenkins and discovered her vehicle at that time, a 2006 silver Suzuki Grand Vitara, parked alongside Goss Hollow Road in St. Johnsbury, a short distance from Ms. Jenkins’ residence. Ms. Jenkins was not with the vehicle; however her 2 year old son was discovered inside the vehicle, unharmed.

Troopers from the St. Johnsbury Barracks as well as the St. Johnsbury Police Department responded and searched the immediate area including a Hardwick Police Department K-9, however Ms. Jenkins was not located. Responding Troopers observed evidence at the scene to indicate that Ms. Jenkins’ disappearance is the result of foul play as evidence present showed signs that a struggle had occurred.

Vermont State Police Detectives and the State Police Crime Scene Search Team were called in and are currently investigating the circumstances surrounding Ms. Jenkins’ disappearance as well as processing the scene and Ms. Jenkins’ vehicle. The Vermont Air National Guard is assisting in the search for Ms. Jenkins by providing a helicopter for air support to canvas the area. Members of the St. Johnsbury Fire Department are assisting with the search as well. At this time, Detectives are conducting interviews and following up on numerous leads.

The public should expect that sections of Goss Hollow Road will be closed throughout the day while the search is being expanded and are asked to seek alternate routes.

Ms. Jenkins is described as a white female, approx. 5 feet 4 inches tall, approx. 130 lbs with blonde hair and hazel eyes. Ms. Jenkins is a science teacher at the St. Johnsbury Academy.

Anyone with information concerning this incident or may know Ms. Jenkins’ whereabouts should call the Vermont State Police in St. Johnsbury at 802-748-3111. Police are also looking to speak with anyone who may have driven Goss Hollow road in St. Johnsbury on Sunday evening between the hours of approximately 7:00 PM and 11:30 PM.
She didn’t go willingly, there’s evidence of that at the scene,” Lt. Mike Henry of the St. Johnsbury State Police barracks said Monday. “There was evidence of a struggle.”

Jenkins’ car was found about a quarter mile from her home, said Henry.
A relative believes she was trying to help someone at the time.

The Vermont Air National Guard is searching for Jenkins by helicopter and police are using search dogs Henry said police are not searching for anyone else at this point.

Jenkins is a single parent who teaches science and coaches girls' basketball at St. Johnsbury Academy. She also waitresses part-time at The Creamery Restaurant in Danville.

According to the St. Johnsbury Academy website, Jenkins was a 1996 graduate of the school. She also has a bachelor's in natural science/geology from Lyndon State College.

[Image: 533995_381370195216654_212865135400495_1...6014_n.jpg]

The Vermont State Police Crime Scene Search Team is processing the scene where Jenkins' vehicle was found and are scouring her home for any possible clues. The Vermont Air National Guard is also assisting in the search by canvassing the area with via helicopter.

WCAX

ST. JOHNSBURY, Vt. -

A mystery has the St. Johnsbury community on edge.

A road closed sign marked the start of a crime scene Monday on Goss Hill Road. It's here that Melissa Jenkins car was found not far from her home.
The 33 year old vanished Sunday night. Her car was found running. Her two-year-old was sitting in the back seat, but the long-time St. Johnsbury Academy teacher was nowhere to be found.

"She loves her child more than anything in the world. She'd never leave her child. She's one of the best mothers I've ever seen in my whole life," said Eric Berry, a relative.

"She would never do that. No, she would never," said local resident Dave Langmaid.

First thing Monday morning crews began searching the woods close to where Jenkins car was found, but as the hours wore on and few clues were found, aerial teams were brought in to help. Police found signs of a struggle near the car and believe the two-year-old watched as his mother was taken. i wonder how verbal the child is?
A friend went looking for Jenkins -- finally found the toddler several hours later and called 911.

Family believe Jenkins left home to help someone with car trouble, but exactly who she planned to meet is a mystery.

Reporter Keagan Harsha: Do you believe she was kidnapped?

Vermont State Police Major Ed Ledo: We know she didn't leave voluntarily based upon what we have at the scene. I can tell you that.

It's news the community is struggling to come to terms with. Jenikins grew up in St. Johnsbury, went to school at Lyndon State and has worked the last eight years as a basketball coach and physics teacher at the St. Johnsbury Academy.

"She has good charisma and just lots of energy. She loved kids and loved people," said Tom Lovvett, the Academy's Headmaster.

"She's a sweetheart. She babysat my kids," said Eric Pierce, Jenkin's neighbor.

The FBI and the National Guard are now assisting with the search. In the meantime, all family and friends can do is wait. "Everyone always thinks the worst, but I'm hopeful that whoever took her will just leave her at the barracks, drop her off and drive away," Eric Berry said.

A community hoping for the best, but fearing the worst.

now WHY?? this woman had a glowing reputation.

Vermont State Police said this evening that a body of a woman found in Barnet is believed to be missing St. Johnsbury teacher Melissa Jenkins.

Barnet is about 11 miles from St. Johnsbury, where Jenkins lived and where her car was found.

Police said an area off of Comerford Dam Road was disturbed and that's where the body was found.

Police answered few questions at the news conference at 6:30 p.m., including whether the case is an isolated incident or whether police had any suspects.

Yeah, I was wondering if the child was closer to 2 or 3 - there's a big difference in verbal abilities in that year. I wonder if it's from what the child said that they think Melissa was going to help someone.

I think this article has a few (not very important ) snippets I don't remember seeing before:

...The friend found the SUV, which was running

...She had no restraining orders out on anyone.

...She was also a girls freshman basketball coach and was a dorm proctor until she had her son....She is working on her master's degree...

...She is also a waitress at night at The Creamery Restaurant in Danville, where co-workers, friends and the father of Jenkins' son gathered Monday afternoon while the restaurant was closed.

...A family friend is caring for the boy. His father, B.J. Robertson, would not comment on Jenkins' disappearance....

Eric Berry, 44, of Lyndonville, a cousin by marriage whose daughter is Jenkins' goddaughter, ..."She left her house with the idea, I think, to try to help somebody, and that's as far as I'm going to go with that, because I don't want to damage any investigation,"...
ST. JOHNSBURY, Vt. (AP) — Vermont police found a body in a remote area Monday that they believe is that of a beloved teacher at a New England boarding school whose SUV was found running with her unharmed 2-year-old inside.

Authorities will continue to seek a suspect in the disappearance of 33-year-old Melissa Jenkins, Vermont State Police Maj. Ed Ledo said at a news conference Monday night. The public should be vigilant, he said.

He would not give details on the condition of the body found in Barnet, a town not far St. Johnsbury, where the single mother's vehicle was discovered Sunday evening near signs of a struggle. An autopsy was planned for Tuesday.

[Image: ALeqM5gl2EB5x1BG4-_hpXv4dszJpYSzDQ?docId...7c5&size=l]

(03-26-2012, 06:41 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: now WHY?? this woman had a glowing reputation.

I wonder what her relation was with the baby's father.

It sounds like she was such a nice person that she probably would have gone out to help anyone who called her for help. You'd think if it was the child's father who called, that she would have told the child "we're going to help Daddy" and that the child would be able to communicate that.

But going out to help someone and meeting them on the side of the road sounds odd (sounds like a drug deal although there's absolutely no reason to think she was involved with drugs). If someone called her and said they had car trouble, what did they expect her to do? I'd say, "I'll call a tow truck for you."

I wonder how busy this road is. If this were a planned abduction, it seems like it's leaving a lot to chance that some cars might come be and see something.

Other than the baby's father (or wife or girlfriend of the baby's father) or a boyfriend or something, I can't think of any motives other than lame, crazy ones like a father who doesn't think his daughter is getting enough playing time on the basketball court, a jealous co-worker at school or the restaurant.

** PRESS RELEASE **

DATE OF RELEASE: March 26, 2012

INCIDENT: Missing Person

CASE #: 12B100874

INVESTIGATOR: Det. Sgt. Walter Smith, St. Johnsbury Barracks

DATE & TIME OF INCIDENT: March 25th, 2012 @ 2300 hours

VICTIM: Melissa Jenkins, age 33
St. Johnsbury, VT

SUMMARY OF INCIDENT: Below is a statement issued by Major Ed Ledo, Criminal Division Commander of the Vermont State Police at this evening’s press conference that was held at the St. Johnsbury Academy:

This afternoon at approximately 1:30PM, while checking remote pull offs in the greater St. Johnsbury area, Vermont State Police Detectives located an area off of Comerford Dam Road in the Town of Barnet which appeared to have had recent activity. The Detectives discovered an area that had been disturbed. Upon further investigation, Detectives located a body. Members of the Crime Scene Search Team responded to the area to process the scene for additional evidence. The body was determined to be that of a young adult female. The body has been transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Burlington where an autopsy is scheduled to be performed on Tuesday to determine the cause and manner of death. Although I cannot disclose the details of how the body was found, the death is considered suspicious.

The Vermont State Police have been aggressively investigating the suspicious disappearance of 33 year old Melissa Jenkins of St. Johnsbury since last evening. At this time, the body recovered this afternoon is believed to be that of Ms. Jenkins, however a positive identification of the body will not be made until the autopsy is performed.

The State Police have reached a critical part of the case, therefore the release of additional information will be limited as to not inhibit the investigative process. Upon completion of the autopsy, an updated press release will be issued.

The Vermont State Police cannot emphasize the importance of citizens coming forward with any and all information regarding this case. We especially want to hear from anyone who may have traveled along Goss Hollow Road in St. Johnsbury on Sunday evening between the hours of 7:00PM and 11:30PM and along Comerford Dam Road in the Town of Barnet.

If anyone has information regarding this case, please call the St. Johnsbury Barracks at 802-748-3111 or submit a secure and anonymous tip.

I wonder if a student asked for her help. She probably wouldn't hesitate to go help a student. As to motive - maybe she was going to turn a student in for cheating or something.

I find it mildly interesting that the child is staying with a family friend rather than the father.
The community is absolutely devastated by this horrible crime. We're all hoping for swift justice. Vermont has a growing list of unsolved ("ongoing investigation") missing persons right now. Horrible.
leave it to ABC to stir fear and anxiety.

The discovery of a body believed to be that of teacher Melissa Jenkins, whose SUV was found earlier this week still running with her 2-year-old son inside, has left police alarmed that whoever might have harmed her will strike again.

The body of Jenkins, 33, who was a teacher from St. Johnsbury, Vt., is believed to have been found 16 hours after she vanished on a dark Vermont road Sunday night. Residents of the town of fewer than 8,000 people, which sits roughly 40 miles from the Canadian border, are were stunned after her disappearance and the discovery of the body, while police are telling residents to remain vigilant.

"I cannot disclose the details of how the body was found or the condition of the body, but this death is considered suspicious," Det. Sgt. Walter Smith said Monday. "We don't know if it's an isolated incident, we expect the public to use all diligence and vigilance while out and about."

[Image: bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=BT&Date=20120326&Cat...h=410&q=60]

[Image: 17260884_SS.JPG]

(03-27-2012, 10:59 AM)Lady Cop Wrote:

"I cannot disclose the details of how the body was found or the condition of the body, but this death is considered suspicious," Det. Sgt. Walter Smith said Monday....

Gee, I wonder how they came to that conclusion [suspicious death]. I can't see any way this would have been a random crime.

What a cute kid! My daughter's a preschool teacher. A couple of years ago she was in a classroom for two year olds, and so many of the kids would cry when their moms dropped them off and left. My heart aches for that little boy missing his mom.

why haven't we heard from babydaddy?
and why didn't HE take his son instead of 'a family friend'? i am sure the police have eliminated him. or not.
what was relationship? was he in his son's life?

facebook:

[Image: 536929_295453230525398_100001821717872_7...8384_n.jpg]

A family friend is caring for Jenkins' toddler. The boy's father, B.J. Robertson, said the child has been unable to express what happened to his mother.

For now, Robertson told ABC News he has "just been loving him when I am with him."

11 mins ago
The medical examiner has positively identified the woman found dead yesterday as Melissa Jenkins, 33, of St. Johnsbury, and ruled her death a homicide.

cause of death being withheld.
a VT. State Trooper continues to be posted at her residence.

(03-27-2012, 03:40 PM)Lady Cop Wrote:
a VT. State Trooper continues to be posted at her residence.

Interesting. Is that because they haven't had time to go through everything in the house yet?

I assume that she and baby-daddy weren't married (ever), yes?
(03-27-2012, 05:19 PM)Sterling Wrote: I assume that she and baby-daddy weren't married (ever), yes?

I assume so as the press refers to him as the child's father, not Melissa's ex-husband.

Vermont State Police guard an area surounding a river access off Comeford Dam Road in Barnet where Melissa Jenkins' body was discovered Monday.

Vermont State Police are still keeping secure this river access off Comeford Dam Road in Barnet where Melissa Jenkins' body was discovered Monday.

"In addition to numerous leads and interviews being conducted, the Vermont State Police Crime Scene Search Team returned to the scene this morning where the body was located and additional items of interest were collected," Smith continued. "The description of the items recovered at the scene will not be disclosed in an effort to preserve the integrity of the investigation. The State Police anticipate securing the scene where Ms. Jenkins body was discovered through the rest of the day and possibly into tomorrow."